The dentist cannot do without his dental assistant. He maintains a level of complicity with his assistant during complex dental interventions. The dentist and his assistant share thus professional know-how.
This profession is very typically feminine and it is rare to find a man as a dental assistant.
Other professions in dentistry:
The dental assistant: her main duties
- she prepares the patient prior to dental care and reviews the patient’s medical history
- she sterilizes and maintains the instruments, the equipment, and the operating room
- she prepares the cements, the sedative dressings, and the other dental care material
- she counsels the patient about alternatives and possible treatments (complementing the work of the dental hygienist)
- she orders dental supplies and keeps in touch with the laboratories
- she takes dental impressions
Only one downside: her work conditions are at times tough and difficult. Indeed:
- bent position
- demanding work schedules, sometimes late at night in order to adapt to the needs of the patients
What kind of training?
Cet emploi est réservé en priorité aux titulaires
This job is reserved primarily for persons holding a dental assistant vocational school diploma, referred to in Québec as the diplôme d’études professionnelles (DEP) en assistance dentaire.
How has the profession evolved?
The number of active dental assistants remains somewhat stable and unemployment does not look likely to affect this profession in the foreseeable future.
Experience is an undeniable advantage in this area and the training of a dental assistant can be complemented with dental hygiene technical training.
It is probable that over the next few years, the missions in the area of dentistry will keep diversifying, notably in the geriatric segment, and that is due to the ageing population.
At the David & Cloutier dental office, experienced dental assistants will take care of you. They are friendly, reassuring, and very professional.
Contact us today to make an appointment and smile again